Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Proud to be an American today

I think that no matter how you cast your vote today, you have to be proud of our country and the record amount of voters this year.  This was the first year that Caleb and I both read up on all the propositions that we'd be voting for.  It was very empowering to cast MY vote for how I think this state and country should be run, rather than just skipping items or guessing in the booth.  I am proud of the huge number of voters- I believe that this shows the accountability and responsibility of the American people.  I remember feeling frustrated in the past when hearing people who never voted before complaining about this or that.  But regardless of the outcome, people are getting out and making change happen, voting for their choice for the next leader of this country.  Now at 10:45pm, some of the props I voted for are passing and some not- I probably won't know the results until the morning, I feel really invested and am anxiously awaiting!  I look to Obama's presidency with optimism and hope that we can unite as one nation and work together to strive to make the world a better place. 

2 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Me too Claire, its good to be an American..and I think our future is bright!

Lisa said...

It was a very touching election day here in Florissant. I have never see so many children with their parents at the polls. Most of my students went with their parents to vote as well. The experiences they shared were priceless. What a historical day for our country and all the citizens of the U.S.A.!