Sunday, July 26, 2009

Travel Story

It seems like my journeys to meet up with Caleb on tour are always blogworthy. If you've forgotten May's excursion in the brown limo, you can find it here.

A little background info before the story- I worked late Friday night, got home around 9:45, ate dinner, did the dishes, packed my suitcase and finally settled in for bed around 11:45 am, setting my phone alarm for 4:50. I had a 7am flight and thought, if I'm out the door by 5:20ish, I'll be set.
I wake up to my phone alarm- ah, geez time to wake up already!?- I notice that Caleb had sent me a text in the middle of the night, then go jump in the shower. I don't reply, because he would obviously be sleeping. He often texts me when they get to the hotel, so I know he made it safe.
I jump in the shower... I shave my legs, I wash my hair. I get out of the shower, less sleepy than before. My plan is to put in my contacts and do my makeup on the plane after I'd slept for awhile... But I am going to a concert tonight, I am seeing my husband for the first time in a week. So I decide to straighten my hair. I check the time on my phone. 14 minutes after the hour. I have about 6 minutes before my allotted leave time. Yikes, got to move fast. I start blowdrying. I finish fairly quickly, but know that there is no way I'll leave right at 5:20, I start to think 5:30 won't be bad. I could still make it ok if I left at 5:30... Obviously no traffic. I go to work with the straightener. I get my hair pretty straight and then all of a sudden my mind goes clear. I got to hit the road. I zip up my bag, throw the rest of my makeup and stuff in my purse, yell a goodbye to the cats and head out the door. When I'm almost to the stairs, my heart starts racing, I haven't check the clock in awhile, I don't know how long it took my to straighten my hair- what if there is a problem at the parking structure? What if the shuttles are late? I could miss my flight. I start to get really stressed out. Even though it is pitch black, I'm racing down the stairs. I round the corner, throw my suitcase in the back, get in the front seat, hit the garage opener, start the car... not wanting to see how late it is. The whole time saying, Please God, don't let me be late, over and over again. The radio station is showing instead of the time on the clock. Delaying the inevitable- I think I wanted to feel like I was on my way, before I checked to see how late I was... I start to back out- but then I hit the button to switch to the time. 1:36. Huh? I think, did the battery die? How'd the clock get reset? I get out my phone. yep, 1:36am. What?!?! I pull back forward. I stop the car, grab my purse and exit the car. How am I 4 HOURS EARLY? Didn't my alarm go off? No, it's still set. I check the time of the message for CB. 12:57am. Yep, sounds about right. In my exhaustion of waking up and the stress of the trip, I had convinced myself that my ALARM had gone off, instead of just the single beep, beep,beep of a text message. WHAT?!?! I got completely ready. I shaved my legs. Washed my hair. Blew out and straightened my hair. CHECKED THE TIME. all on just one hour of sleep and 4 hours early!!!!!! I trudged back up the stairs and got back in my pjs. Got back in bed and wished for sleep. Although, now that I was completely ready, I reset my alarm for 5:10... might as well get an extra 20 minutes, huh?! Crazy!

6 comments:

Thomas said...

Just when I was getting bored with this blog entry it turned out to be pretty funny! At least you weren't late!

The Linabooty's said...

hahaha Claire your so crazy! Hope it was fun...jealous kaya got to see you:)

Beth said...

Claire - That is the funniest story. I totally know how that feels. When we flew back east a few weeks ago we had to catch a 6am flight and get up by 2:45 to get me and all the kids ready. It was crazy. There is no way I slept. Maybe for an hour. Anyway - I hope you're having fun!

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

ahhaha. OH MY GOSH!!! This story is classic! You crack me up!! I hate waking up earlier than I have to, and by FOUR hours, that sounds AWFUL! Great story! Your trips are always hilarious. PS--tell us about the SHOW!!

Tanya said...

LOL, that is so funny, I am so sorry that happened, I know how hard it is get back to sleep after that. I love that you didn't check the clocks because you were worried you were late, too funny...

Sarah Heder said...

Claire, that is hilarious and sad all at the same time! I don't think I could have gone back to sleep after all that. I was just hoping the whole time that you weren't going to miss your flight. I get major anxiety about that stuff, so your story had me a little tense until the very end. I'm glad it all turned out well!